Gutter cleaning is a chore that no homeowner likes. It’s wet, dirty, time-consuming, and can be dangerous, since you need to climb around on ladders or walk on the roof, and remove dirty, sharp, and sometimes dangerous debris from all along the gutters.
You already know gutter cleaning is an important part of home maintenance. Here’s what can happen if you let your gutters go uncleaned:
- Clogged gutters can overflow, and then pooled water can rot the wood fascia and rust the gutters.
- Mold, mildew, and bacteria can grow, and pollen can collect.
- Insect infestations can thrive.
- Full gutters can collapse, pull away from the house, and cause expensive damage.
- Rainwater that is not collected (due to full gutters) can pool around your home’s foundation, causing costly damage or even flooding.
So, what are the shortcuts to getting clean gutters fast? There is bad news and there is good news.
- The bad news is …there are no shortcuts. You have to haul out the ladder, put on your heavy-duty work gloves, and dig in. Scoop out all debris, including sticks, sopping wet piles of leaves, pine needles, insect nests, critters, gunk, and everything else inside those gutters. Watch out for screws and sharp edges inside the gutters that can really wound your hands, even with work gloves on. Then flush the gutters and downspouts and clean up.
- The good news is that you can find a great gutter cleaning company and leave this unwanted and unsavory chore to the professionals!