Countertops, sinks, tables, and toilets all get cleaned routinely - possibly even daily. For some other cleaning tasks, such as the inside of the fridge, you may need to remind yourself to clean every week or every other week. However, there are plenty of surfaces and items that most of us do not clean nearly frequently enough.
Here are some of the things that should be cleaned more often than they are:
- Door Knobs: It takes five minutes to wipe down your door knobs at least once a week, and it's a huge step in the war on germs. Use a sanitizing wipe and get all knobs, drawer pulls, and handles you see.
- Light Switches: Use another sanitizing wipe to hit all light switches.
- Ceiling Fans: Dust and cobwebs build up on the fan blades. Use a duster on an extension, or grab a step ladder and wipe down each blade with a clean cloth.
- Bathroom Mats: Bathrooms stay damp, making them breeding grounds for mold. Washing your bathroom mats every 1-2 weeks helps combat mold growth and keeps your home's indoor air quality healthier and your bathroom cleaner overall.
- Washing Machine: You would think that appliances that are responsible for cleaning wouldn't need cleaning themselves, but hard water deposits can build up over time. Every 2-3 months, run your washer through a warm cycle with a cup of white vinegar to remove the deposits and that slightly funky odor.
- Dryer: Don’t forget about the dryer! When lint is allowed to build up, it can create a fire hazard. Clean out the lint traps and vacuum up all lint and other material from around the dryer and dryer vent.
- Dishwasher: Put a dishwasher safe dish with a cup of vinegar in the top rack and then run a full cycle on hot and allow it to steam dry, after which you can wipe off any remaining messes. Like the washing machine, this can be done every 2-3months (or more often if needed).
- Kitchen Sink Drain: To keep your drains open, put a half cup of baking soda down into the sink. Then, pour a half cup of vinegar into it with a few drops of lemon juice. Let the baking soda, vinegar, and lemon work for a few minutes, and then rinse the sink with hot water. This is much easier on your pipes than using chemical-based clog removers, especially if you keep it maintained by doing this at least once a month.
- Your Desk: At least once per month, unplug your computer and disinfect your keyboard, mouse, and desk area. We all spend so much time at our computers, and the germs can really build up!
It can be hard to stay on top of the multitude of cleaning projects that need to be done regularly, including these. Make it easy on yourself! Find the best maid service in the neighborhood and call on their team of trained professional house cleaners. The best professional housekeeping service Jacksonville FL homeowners love and trust is First Coast Home Pros. Cleaning is our passion, and house cleaning is our specialty - just ask the hundreds of clients throughout downtown Jacksonville, Mandarin, Riverside, Ponte Vedra Beach and all along the beaches. Your home will be sanitized and sparkling when we’re finished cleaning, from the door knobs to the kitchen sink drain and everything in between!