- Sweep daily - One of the most important things you can do for your floors is to sweep them regularly. This keeps them looking their best, but more importantly, removes all soil and debris that could otherwise get ground down into the boards and cause damage. Sweep the high traffic areas daily, including around the cabinets and island in the kitchen, or inside the mudroom. Spot sweep any crumbs or debris when you see them. Areas of less foot traffic can be swept every other day.
- Mop weekly - Beyond the daily sweeping, give your wood floors a weekly mopping with a high quality cleaner that is specifically formulated for wood flooring. Use a soft cloth mop, and mop gently so that the applicator head does not scrape or scratch the wood.
- Find the right floor cleaner - Rather than soap, you’ll want to use a cleaner that is specially formulated to have a neutral pH. Avoid using soap, as it can leave a residue that will attract dust and dirt once it dries, and avoid using any abrasive cleaning agents, as they can scratch and dull your floor.
- Don’t overwet - Moisture is an enemy of wood flooring. When mopping, you want to cover the floor evenly, but not overly saturate it. Use a damp mop rather than a sopping wet one.
- Clean by hand (when needed) - Clean the corners, stairs, and hard-to-reach places of your wood floor the old fashioned way: on your hands and knees. Use your same cleaning solution, but apply it by hand, using a soft cloth, rather than with the mop.
- Finish to protect - Apply a good quality, compatible finish to the wood floor in order to protect the surface and provide a barrier against moisture. Most hardwood floor finishes on the market will leave a thick, waxy feel and look to your floor, and will peel up, sometimes pretty quickly after they’ve been applied. It’s usually best to hire a good professional wood floor cleaning company and have their technicians apply a high quality coating to your floors.
- Use mats - Put down mats and area rugs to add another level of protection for your wood floor. A welcome mat outside the house can trap a lot of the dirt from being tracked in from outside.
- Hire professional wood floor cleaners - At least once per year, treat your wood flooring to a high quality cleaning by the best professional cleaning company in your area. Nothing makes wood floors sparkle better than a good professional cleaning!
You might have bamboo flooring in your modern downtown Jacksonville loft, or refinished maple in your San Marco home, or restored oak flooring in your historical Riverside Avondale home. Regardless of the type of wood floor you have, it deserves the best floor cleaning service you can find. The best cleaning company Jacksonville FL homeowners love and trust is First Coast Home Pros. Our technicians are extensively trained in the techniques needed for cleaning every type of flooring, with special training for wood floor cleaning. We’ll even apply a specialized finish to keep them looking good long after we’ve left! For a clean and beautiful home right down to the wood floors, call on First Coast Home Pros.