When is the last time you cleaned your upholstered furniture? If you’re like most homeowners, you probably can’t remember; this important cleaning task is frequently overlooked. We don’t walk on the upholstery like we do carpet or other flooring, so we don’t think about how badly it might need to be cleaned. In the meantime, dirt, dust, allergens, and bacteria of all kinds settle deep into the fibers of our favorite sofas and chairs.
Get your upholstery – and your home – back on track with our tips!
- Find the right cleaning solution. Don’t just reach for the nearest bottle of cleaning solution. Instead, read the labels to make sure you find one that is safe for the fabric on your furniture.
- Make your own cleaning solution. If you don’t find a cleaning solution you like, try making your own! Mix one drop of Dawn into one cup of lukewarm water to create a basic cleaning solution that is safe and effective on many types of surfaces.
- Test your cleaning solution. Find an inconspicuous area on your upholstery and apply a small amount of the cleaning solution to make sure it doesn’t cause shrinkage and doesn’t affect the colorfastness of the dye in the fabric.
- Vacuum first. It’s always best to remove all dirt, dust, and dry soils before getting your furniture damp or wet in any way. Take off all cushions, armrest coverings, etc., and give the decking of the furniture a thorough vacuuming. Use the various attachments on your vacuum in order to get deep into the corners, crevices, and pleats.
- Apply the cleaning solution gently. If you are using a bottled cleaning solution, apply it according to the label. If you are using your Dawn mixture, apply it using a soft cloth or a brush with very soft bristles. Apply a small amount of the mixture to the cloth or brush, and move in small circles, working it into the fibers. Some foam will appear. Scoop off the foam with a clean, dry cloth, or even with a spatula. Finally, use a clean, damp cloth to wipe away all soapy residue.
- Address spots immediately. When a spot or spill occurs, it’s important to remove it as quickly as possible. Spills that are allowed to sit on fabric can settle into the fibers and stuffing of the furniture and do significant damage. When cleaning up a spill, be sure to blot it rather than rub or scrub at it, which only works it further into the fabric.
- Have a maintenance plan. Once your furniture is clean, make a plan to keep it that way!
- Call the professionals. The best thing you can do for your upholstered furniture is to have it professionally cleaned. Trained professionals from a highly rated upholstery cleaning company will have the knowledge, tools, and cleaning solutions to clean any type of upholstery. Treat your furniture to the care it deserves, and treat yourself to some time off by hiring the best professional upholstery cleaners in your area.
First Coast Home Pros is the best upholstery cleaning company Jacksonville FL residents trust with their upholstered furniture. Orange Park, Riverside, Jacksonville, Atlantic Beach, and St. Augustine homeowners trust the skill and experience that First Coast Home Pros brings to every job. Your sofa, loveseat, padded dining room chairs, fabric headboard, as well as your drapes and window treatments deserve the deep cleaning and care that we can give them. We’re the upholstery cleaning pros!