We all know there are those things you should clean that just slip between the cracks, and really don't get =maintained as often as they should, things like carpet cleaning in your Jacksonville home. Here's a list of 15 items that you really shouldn't ignore, and how often they should be cleaned.
- Washer and Dryer: You would think that appliances that are responsible for cleaning wouldn't need cleaning themselves, but hard water deposits can build up over time. Run your washer through a warm cycle with a cup of white vinegar to remove the deposits and that slightly funky odor every three months. Don't forget the dryer! Buildups of dryer lint can cause fires, so be certain to check the exhaust and pipes for it.
- Dishwasher: There's always a few bits of food debris in the bottom of your dishwasher, so remove it with a rag, put a dishwasher safe dish with a cup of vinegar in the top rack and then run a full cycle on hot and allow it to steam dry, after which you can wipe off any remaining messes. Like the washer, this can be done every three months or more often if needed.
- Kitchen Sink Drain: To keep your drains open, put a half cup of baking soda down into the sink. Then, pour a half cup of vinegar into it with a few drops of lemon juice. Let the baking soda, vinegar, and lemon work for a few minutes, and then rinse with hot water. This is much easier on your pipes than using chemically-based clog removers, especially if you keep it maintained by doing this at least once a month.
- Pillows: It's easy to forget that your pillows also need occasional washing, about once a month. This helps remove dust mite debris and keep them smelling clean and fresh.
- Bed Sheets: This sounds like a no-brainer, sometimes it gets overlooked when life gets busy. Change the sheets on your bed once a week to keep dust mite debris down.
- Bathroom Mats: Bathrooms are damp and breeding grounds for mold. Washing your bathroom mats every couple of weeks helps combat mold growth and keeps your home's indoor air quality healthier. Think of it as DIY carpet cleaning for your Jacksonville home.
- Comforter: Washing your comforter also keeps dust mite debris from building up. Clean it as needed following the instructions on the tag, or at an absolute minimum, take it to the dry cleaner annually for a serious cleaning.
- Carpets: Think of everything you walk through on a daily basis - oil and chemicals in a parking lot, unmentionables from Fido's walk outside, bacteria, dirt. Now multiply that by 365. Carpets are rarely cleaned as often as they should be to maintain a healthy environment. Vacuum at least once a week, conduct a hot steaming every season, and have the professionals in at least twice a year for carpet cleaning in Jacksonville.
- Couches: Pet dander, hair, and dust mite debris all leave their mark on your upholstery. Use the upholstery brush attachment for your vacuum cleaner once a week, including between and under the cushions.
- Door Knobs: It takes five minutes to wipe down your door knobs at least once a week, and it's a huge step in the war on germs. Hit the light switches while you're at it!
- Remote Control: Electronics can be cleaned using a disinfecting wipe or rubbing alcohol with cotton swabs.
- Phones: We use them all the time and almost never clean them! Use the same regimen as with your remote.
- Your Desk: It can be truly disgusting the number of germs that build up at your desk. Disinfect at least once a week, including the keyboard and mouse. Remember to unplug or power down your computer first.
- Your Purse: What are those papers composting in the bottom of your purse? Clean it out at least once a month, wiping down the outside, if needed, and using a bit of tape or a lint roller to remove any bits at the bottom of the liner.
- Makeup Brushes: When you put makeup on, you're transferring dirt, oil and bacteria onto the brush, which then sits at the bottom of your kit until you're ready to use it again. Wash them gently with warm water and baby shampoo at least once per month, or more often if you have eye or acne problems.
Not able to get through the entire list at the moment? That's okay - life can get really busy at times. Let us provide some assistance! Our skilled housekeepers can take care of your Jacksonville carpet cleaning and other home cleaning needs.